What is Java
Java is a programming language and computing platform first released by Sun Microsystems in 1995. There are lots of applications and websites that will not work unless you have Java installed, and more are created every day. Java is fast, secure, and reliable. From laptops to datacenters, game consoles to scientific supercomputers, cell phones to the Internet, Java is everywhere.
Java allows you to play online games, chat with people around the world, calculate your mortgage interest, and view images in 3D, just to name a few. It's also integral to the intranet applications and other e-business solutions that are the foundation of corporate computing.
Importance of Java Programming Language
1) Java is used to develop Desktop Applications such as MediaPlayer,Antivirus etc.
2) Java is Used to Develop Web Applications such as onlyjavatech.com, irctc.co.in etc.
3) Java is Used to Develop Enterprise Application such as Banking applications.
4) Java is Used to Develop Mobile Applications.
5) Java is Used to Develop Embedded System.
6) Java is Used to Develop SmartCards.
7) Java is Used to Develop Robotics.
8) Java is used to Develop Games etc.
As per the sun micro system standard the java language is divided into three types. 1) J2SE/JSE(Java 2 Standard Edition) 2) J2EE/JEE(Java 2 Enterprise Edition) 3) J2ME/JME(Java 2 Micro Edition)
By using J2SE technology , we are able to develop the standalone applications.
Ex:- Media player(vlc),Notepad,Calculator, WordPad, paint, Google Talk...........etc
Standalone applications don't follow client server architecture.
Standalone applications are the java applications which don't need the client server architecture.
The standalone applications applicable for the only one desktop hence it is called desktop applications or window based applications.
For the standalone applications does not need internet connections.
It is a local application it doesn't need any other external application support.
This type of the applications we can launch by using the command line or by using the executable jar.
By using J2EE technology , we are able to develop the web based applications.
Example :- facebook, google mail, bank system, etc.
Web based applications follow client server architecture.
Web applications are the java applications which needs client and server concept.
Web applications must need the internet connections to access the application.
The application which is present in the internet is called the web application.
Web application can be launched by using HTTP driven. HTTP request sent to the Servlet present in the server side.
Client :- The person who is sending the request is called client. All web browsers come under the clients. Example : Google Chrome,Firefox ,Opera etc.
Server:- The server contains the applications. The main purpose of the server is
1) It will contain the application. 2) Take the request from the client. 3) Based on the taken request it will identify the project resource and execute that project resource. 4) By executing the project some response will be generated that response is sent to the client browser. Ex:- Tomcat,GlassFish, WebLogic,JBOSS,WebSphere.etc
Database:- Database is used to store the details like client details, application details, registration details......etc
Ex:- Oracle,MySql, DB2...........etc.
By using J2ME technology , we are able to develop the applications that applications only run on mobile devices.
What next ?
Brief History of Java